Thursday 27 November 2014

13 November 2014: A trip to the Forest of Dean to catch a Great Grey Shrike,

Having had no luck catching up with a Great Grey Shrike at Great Barrington, I decided on the longer trip into the forest of Dean, setting off nice and early. I arrived at Crabtree Hill nice and early and walked up the path towards where I hoped to see the Shrike. I noticed two photographers further up the track pointing their cameras out into the clearfell. There it was, so I set up and started shooting.

In this one it apears to have a beetle for breakfast
The Shrike seemed to be edging down the clearfell towrds my position, so I was beginning to think I might get some really close shots



when all of a sudden it flew acroos to the other side of the clearfell.
It was then I realised what had happened - the two photographers had encroached into teh clearfell after a shot and eventually completely spooked the bird. They even ah dthe nerve to say good morning to me as they passed(-:). Shortly afterwards it started to rain and I left - a total of 10 minutes watching the bird. As I approached Gloucester and it wasn't raining, I stopped at RSPB Highnam Woods to check out the feeders in front of the hide as its quite close to the road.
Robin
Marsh Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Bullfinch with poorly feet.

Marsh Tit
Bullfinch
Marsh Tit
Bullfinch
The rain then swept out of the Forest so it was time for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment